Gum disease & laser treatment

Hi everyone,

I have bad gum disease, they all bleed and I'm looking for a course of treatment. I've done some very basic research into laser treatment and, from what I've read, it seems promising but I'm no expert.

Up until the pandemic I had an NHS dentist. I contacted them for my annual check up during the first lockdown and was told that they weren't seeing patients. Next time I contacted them they told me that because it was now more than two years since my last check up that I was no longer on their list.

Today I visited a new dentist who for £400, took x rays of my mouth, took samples to identify the types of bacteria present in my mouth and a general check up.

They have recommended that before laser treatment I have my teeth cleaned by their hygienist. The quoted cost for two sessions is c£750 which seems like, well, a lot. This is before knowing how much the laser treatment will be. They have given me a rough idea and it rolls into several thousand pounds.

My local private dentist has a hygienist who charges £80 per 40 minute session and I am wondering if there is a big difference and if so, what that is. I obviously want to save money if I can. The new dentist would prefer that I used them for the cleaning but they weren't really able to quantify how their cleaning is any different to a local dentist. They also told me that their hygienist has only been there for a year which was a bit of a concern considering the price.

I really want to get my gums to a place where I can get orthodontic work done as my mouth is very crowded and I'm committed to getting them sorted ASAP

Is laser treatment effective? Would using the cheaper hygienist be a bad idea? Is the new dentist reasonable in terms of how much this kind of treatment should cost?

Sorry, lots of questions but any help/advice will be very gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Dan

Ask a Question