Gum abscess, can antibiotics only work..?

I started with swelling/pain on Wednesday, phoned emergancy dental line. I was told it was a abscess due to what I described. (Never had one before) anyway due to Covid and the situation here in the UK, they just did a perscription for amoxicillin 500 mg (3 times a day for 5 days) that I picked up from a local pharamcy.
Anyway I am at the end of the 3rd day, and I am in constant pain.. seemed to get worse after the first day (late on Thursday evening), and I have been in a constant pain since (i'd say 8 out of 10 pain) the throbbing is unbareable at times even with Ibuprofen. Tried warm salt water rinses, a soft brissle tooth brush.. but nothing is really helping.
After searching up on mouth abscess, almost all of the advice threads say that it's drained by a dentist first then antibiotics are to be taken.
Just decided to pull my mouth open with a toothbrush (not been able to open it right due to the pain) and looked into the mirror to see what was going on, and I noticed it's right at the back of my mouth and comes across to the side (like it's split in two) and the side is a big red swallon mess.. explains all the pain I'm feeling, as my upper teeth are inprinted into the side of the swelling :(
Taken a picture, but not sure if you can see it clearly.

Anyway, should I just persist with the pain and give it 2 more days till the end of the amoxicillin, or should I be trying to get into a dentist asap? Sorry if it doesn't make sense or is too long/cluttered... it's currently 3am for me, I'm in pain and tired due to lack of sleep these past 2 nights.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 92
Solutions
Hi!
Tooth pain is exausting, is it possible for you to get a video call to a dentist, due to the Covid? I've heard from the news that in UK somethings will be closed for some time.
Wish you to get better!

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
Hello,

If it is an abscess caused by a tooth, the best option will be to drain it through the tooth, extraction (if the tooth cannot be saved), or drain through soft tissues. Antibiotics can help to settle down the infection a bit. But after the infection has settled down, less painful, the cause of the abscess should be treated i.e. the tooth - if it is the cause.

Hope you can see someone in the UK soon.

Vote:

Ask a Question