Growing Mass on Hard Palate Behind Incisors

C7D382F6-20E1-42E9-9E89-297A50B22DA3.jpeg

This mass has slowly grown larger over the past few months. The piece of metal seen is a permanent retainer. I have been on antibiotics for a while for a separate reason, but the fact it has not changed makes me think it is not due to infection. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

This could be a fibrous epulis. This is a growth on the gum, most likely due to plaque or calculus on the teeth related to the retainer, which causes inflammation and growth of tissue. To treat this, the lesion would need to be excised, and then proper oral hygiene should be emphasized. The lesion can recur. If it returns and the retainer makes if difficult to maintain proper oral hygiene, I would recommend removing the fixed retainer and replacing it with a removable retainer that you wear at night.

Vote:
Good day

This could be a fibrous epulis. This is a growth on the gum, most likely due to plaque or calculus on the teeth related to the retainer, which causes inflammation and growth of tissue. To treat this, the lesion would need to be excised, and then proper oral hygiene should be emphasized. The lesion can recur. If it returns and the retainer makes if difficult to maintain proper oral hygiene, I would recommend removing the fixed retainer and replacing it with a removable retainer that you wear at night.
This is the updated picture taken last night (one week apart from the originally posted photo.) The anterior portion of the mass is no longer attached to the hard palate and is able to be pulled back. Appointment with the oral surgeon is not until 12/06 and I am concerned with it’s rapidly increasing size.

Attachments

• 7B9254DB-4021-4E30-BC88-5B248783B89E.jpeg
    7B9254DB-4021-4E30-BC88-5B248783B89E.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 4

Vote:

Ask a Question