Grinding

H

Himatt

Hey everyone! I’m Matt and I grind my teeth.

I am 27 and was lucky to have parents who forked over the money have my teeth straighten when I was a child. Forever greatful (When I get my into a decent career, I owe them big time!)

Anyway! I take pretty good care of my teeth. Never had a cavity, but I grind my teeth. I want to prevent damage.
My questions- I wear a wire retainer every night. Is this the same as a guard? Could I use a sports mouth guard if replaced frequently?
I have slight over bite will my top incisors be affected from grinding?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

A wire retainer is not meant to prevent grinding. Only to prevent relapse after orthodontic treatment. Although you get lots of custom over the counter mouth guards, that are advertised to assist in grinding habits, the best option would still be to go and see your dentist. He will evaluate the extent of the grinding, and then also other contributing factors such as erosion and abrasion lesions or if there is an underlying TMJ issue that is more critical. A custom bite-plate can then be made, that is specifically designed for your teeth,that will help negate the effects of the grinding. This plate will have to be evaluated as well during your normal check-ups, since after a few years, you might grind through it, and then you will need it replaced.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
OK, how do you know that you grind your teeth? are your teeth showing signs of excessive wear (any photos or Xrays)?

Vote:

Ask a Question