Grey mass on the back of an incissor

Good afternoon,

I have a very "broad" question in regards to something I found last night while checking my teeth. On the back of one of my upper incisors, I found a grey mass on it.

I don't believe it's cavity, since: a) it's not black, as all my other cavities have been; and b) it's an actual mass; I can feel it with my fingers. It's hard and cannot be scratched off. It doesn't hurt and it's found on the bottom of the tooth itself.

What might this be? I know that the possibilities might be endless in a way, and I'm going to see my dentist on Monday. But I'm kind of really worried, because it's - well - a tooth that is on such a visible place and I'd hate seeing it crumble. I guess I just need to know what it might be.
I'm attaching a very low-quality picture (my phone camera sucks), so you can see it. It's on the right side, but it seems as if something similar is forming on the left.
105490771_759269041479932_578440757282690198_n.jpg

Thank you so much to whoever answers.

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From the visuals, it does not appear to be any cavities, just staining. The dentists will need to take x-rays to check in-between your teeth and any internal structures that are not visible to clear of any cavities.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

From the picture I think you might also be referring to what we sometimes call a Talon cusp, which is a protuberance of enamel and dentin on the inside aspect of your tooth, which is most likely also why you are saying that it feels hard. This is normal anatomy in certain individuals. ( please be advised my opinion is based on your photo only ). To rule out any underlying decay, I agree with Honestdoc to have a dentist examine the teeth with a x-ray.

Vote:

Ask a Question