Got crown, now need root canal

Hello.... I just recently had a crown put on one of my back molars. It has been sensitive ever since. I haven't been able to eat on the right side of my mouth ever since the crown was put in. Now my dentist says I need a root canal. Is this a sign of a bad dentist? Shouldn't they have seen that I needed the root canal before giving me a crown? Called to see if I'm gonna be charged for another crown after the root canal is done, and they told me it's not certain until the procedure's done. So I may get charged twice for this crown! If they would have seen I needed a root canal before the crown, they could have done it in proper order. Now I may pay for two crowns on the same tooth! This just doesn't seem right to me. Am I wrong here? Do I have a right to argue not to pay for another crown?

Hello.... I just recently had a crown put on one of my back molars. It has been sensitive ever since. I haven't been able to eat on the right side of my mouth ever since the crown was put in. Now my dentist says I need a root canal. Is this a sign of a bad dentist? Shouldn't they have seen that I needed the root canal before giving me a crown? Called to see if I'm gonna be charged for another crown after the root canal is done, and they told me it's not certain until the procedure's done. So I may get charged twice for this crown! If they would have seen I needed a root canal before the crown, they could have done it in proper order. Now I may pay for two crowns on the same tooth! This just doesn't seem right to me. Am I wrong here? Do I have a right to argue not to pay for another crown?

I'm in the exact position you are. I went back to my dentist a week after the crown and he put some type of sealer on it and said that I had a sensitive tooth. After two more weeks of pain he tells me that I need probably a root canal. I'm taking up to 10 Advil a day just to knock down the pain, but am still in constant pain. Not very happy with my dentist. :(

Vote:
This happens more often than you would imagine. Technically, the dentist should cover warranty on his or her crown for at least one year. This means that you should be entitled to a free new crown if the work was recently done. As far as predicting whether or not a root canal was needed in advance, that is difficult to judge. Some teeth don't show any pain symptoms until a crown is placed on them. It could have been that the dentist shaved too much of the tooth, but there's no way of proving it one way or another. Hope this helps clarify your situation and best of luck on the root canal!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This happens more often than you would imagine. Technically, the dentist should cover warranty on his or her crown for at least one year. This means that you should be entitled to a free new crown if the work was recently done. As far as predicting whether or not a root canal was needed in advance, that is difficult to judge. Some teeth don't show any pain symptoms until a crown is placed on them. It could have been that the dentist shaved too much of the tooth, but there's no way of proving it one way or another. Hope this helps clarify your situation and best of luck on the root canal!
This original post is from 2011.

Vote:

Ask a Question