Gingivitis

I have always taken really good care of my teeth. For years, I have flossed once a day with inderdental brushes in addition to using a top of the range electric toothbrush twice a day and mouthwash twice a day, and seeing the hygeinist for a clean every 6 months.

The hygenist has never commented on my gums before, so I assume they have been fine, but last month when I went for a routine clean she told me that I have gingivitis. I had noticed a little bleeding but thought nothing of it. She told me that I should use interdental picks insead of the interdental brushes and that would clear it up.

The picks are definitely working better - at least, I think they must be because my gums have been bleeding A LOT since I started using them (which I do twice a day). The hygienist told me that they would stop bleeding within 10 days, but it is now a month later and despite bleeding less they have not stopped bleeding.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he told me to use corsodyl mouthwash for two weeks and then come in for a clean (I don’t have any vsible plaque, but apparently there is a little under my gums).

I feel really scared because if I have gum disease despite such good oral hygiene, I don’t know what more I can do to stop it progressing into peridontonitis.

What could be going on here?

Ask a Question