Getting a fixed bridge right after Invisalign?

4 teeth (An upper cuspid on each side and both upper central incisors - all in very good shape and have been moved using 2 years of Invisalign) are to be filed down for a fixed bridge for congenitally missing lateral incisors. I presume that impressions are taken before the filing down and also after. A temporary bridge is typically made in an hour or two at the dentist office and temporarily glued into place and worn for 2-3 weeks until the permanent bridge comes back. A history of Invisalign has moved nearly every tooth considerably. All upper and lower teeth were originally slanted too far inward and have been pulled outward, about 5-6 teeth were extruded (pulled out to make them longer - including the 4 teeth to be filed down, which have had the most movement of any) . During this 2-3 week waiting period for the new bridge when no Invisalign trays can be worn due to the filing and temp bridge...how much will these other teeth move without a retainer? Yet a retainer has to wait on the permanent bridge to come back and yet more impressions have to be made to make the retainer that will fit once the bridge has been attached - yet another 2-3 weeks to get that, maybe? What method will keep these teeth from moving and altering to the point where they won't fit the new retainers when they do finally come back? Any ideas how my dentist will handle this one? I'll be asking him, of course. Just seeking other opinions.

The original plan was to do implants. Like we figured, Invisalign couldn't move the roots, and they're in the way. An ortho (who I saw before my cosmetic dentist) wouldn't put metal braces on. He wanted a $50K surgery, I had no insurance and most won't cover it anyway. The Invisalign did what the ortho and a former dentist said couldn't be done without surgery.

I don't want anything removable. Is this my only best "fixed" option - a porcelain bonded to metal fixed bridge? Any idea as to how my situation will be handled? Will the teeth break either the permanent or temporary bridge in trying to move back where they were, due to the root tension? Will the roots ever truly stretch out enough to make the teeth quit trying to go back?

Last edited:

Ask a Question