Full mouth dentures. Advice please?

I've been told by my Dentist that we've lost the battle to save my teeth. Gum recession and pain from frequent infections mean that my health has suffered as well as my confidence. But I am still worried about going ahead with this. Has anyone who's been through the extractions and has complete dentures any advice or encouragement that can help me make the decision to get false teeth?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sometimes you can try having partial dentures first by saving a few teeth, even if only for a couple of more years It can help you get used to them before taking out all teeth.
Even keeping a couple of lower teeth can be very helpful.

Vote:
Sometimes you can try having partial dentures first by saving a few teeth, even if only for a couple of more years It can help you get used to them before taking out all teeth.
Even keeping a couple of lower teeth can be very helpful.

That's very good advice which I should have taken several years ago, but is not an option any more. I guess I'll just have to go for the first stage now.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are 2 types of dentures you can discuss with your dentist. One is called immediate dentures where they make your dentures before your teeth gets extracted. After your teeth are extracted, the dentist will fit the completed dentures. The disadvantage is that the immediates don't fit as accurate due to the changes in bone and gums after teeth extraction. After about 6 months of mouth changes, the denture may be relined but may still have limitations. You may have to consider a new denture depending on how ill-fitting it is.

The other type of denture is waiting until all of the mouth changes are stabilized after 3-6 months to fabricate the denture. This type is definitely more accurate and better fitting. But you will be without the denture until it gets fabricated. You can consider doing both which is double the work and cost.

Vote:
There are 2 types of dentures you can discuss with your dentist. One is called immediate dentures where they make your dentures before your teeth gets extracted. After your teeth are extracted, the dentist will fit the completed dentures. The disadvantage is that the immediates don't fit as accurate due to the changes in bone and gums after teeth extraction. After about 6 months of mouth changes, the denture may be relined but may still have limitations. You may have to consider a new denture depending on how ill-fitting it is.

The other type of denture is waiting until all of the mouth changes are stabilized after 3-6 months to fabricate the denture. This type is definitely more accurate and better fitting. But you will be without the denture until it gets fabricated. You can consider doing both which is double the work and cost.

Thank you, I definitely prefer the immediate type. I've lost some teeth already so my bone and gums have healed in some areas, so that should take some of the guesswork out of making immediate dentures.

Vote:

Ask a Question