Found a white spot on xray

I'm 35 decently healthy. Went in for a filling and dentist found a white spot in my lower jaw with a grey ring around it. Not going to lie I'm pretty freaked it is cancer bc I have four kids. Anyone know the statistics of it actually being cancer? Doesn't hurt at all nor can you see it without an xray.

Thank you!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Please provide an image. Cancer in the mouth statistically are low compared to benign lesions. "When you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras." Zebras would be more like cancer and horses are more common and benign. White spots in the jaws are usually not as scary as black spots. White spots depict denser mineral aggregates where black spots are typically hollow, infection, loss of bone material. My differential guesses (without an image) are odontoma, saliva duct stone, retained root from baby tooth, sclerotic bone, normal bone trabeculae, or restoration debris. Do you use tobacco, drink heavily, or have family history? The only way to know if it is cancer is to remove it (biopsy) and check it under a microscope. Removing it can be traumatic so only the high risk lesions should be considered.

Vote:

Ask a Question