Food stuck in my gums, should I seek a second opinion?

Hi,

I have a VERY bad taste in my mouth localized to the area where one specific tooth meets my gum. This has persisted for about 1 month. I eat popcorn everyday and figured the taste was related to a popcorn kernel stuck in my gums and decaying. The taste is very uncomfortable and I am worried about the long term implications decaying food could have on my dental health. I visited my dentist last week and he confirmed my suspicions that the source of the problem was a popcorn kernel stuck in my gum. He removed the kernel and assured me that my body would eventually "take care of it" if I hadn't taken action on my own and that I shouldn't be worried about it. While he was removing the food, he commented that the kernel had broken into several pieces.

It has been about a week since my visit and the taste has persisted, although not as strong. I suspect that he removed some, but not all, of the kernel. I have tried to floss and brush the problem away but I believe it is not accessible by those means, especially since I have been regularly brushing and flossing the entire time this has been bothering me. Is it true that my body will naturally "take care" of the food still stuck in my gums? If so, how long does that take? The taste is very uncomfortable. In addition, is it true that I shouldn't be concerned about the long-term implications of decaying food stuck in my gums? That seems counter-intuitive to me. I am considering seeing a second dentist to get a second opinion and hopefully remove the rest of the kernel, but I do not want to pay for a visit if the problem will work itself out soon.

I would be infinitely grateful to any professional advice regarding this problem!

Ask a Question