Fluoride Paint

I was getting ready to leave from my dental check-up when they came back in and said they were going to put fluoride paint on my teeth. This fluoride paint was orange and smelled nasty. They smeared it on the outside of my teeth, told me to swallow, and said they knew it was nasty but it is very beneficial. I did what they said and later tried to look up swallowing fluoride paint. I couldn't find information about why I was told to swallow. I trust my dentist and know I should probably have asked for more information while I was there, but I didn't. I would like to know if anyone has information about why fluoride paint is swallowed and how safe it is.

Thanks

Solutions
I'm not sure why they told you to swallow but it cannot be too harmful as they leave it in your mouth and over the next few days it does end up being swallowed as you eat and drink. They used to put fluoride in drinking water to help dental health, not sure if they still do.

Vote:

Ask a Question