Fillings Before Or After Root Scaling?

I haven't been to the dentist in a long time but was finally able to go recently. They said I need a deep cleaning/root scaling and 9 cavities filled. My question is, is it ok to have the cavities filled before they do the deep cleaning? I'm worried about having composite fillings done on my front teeth and then having my teeth cleaned and the composite fillings no longer matching my teeth. Will the deep cleaning actually change the current color of my teeth? Especially since its been so long since I've had a professional cleaning done? I would just do the cleaning first to be safe,il but the first available appointments for the cleaning aren't until late July and I can get my fillings done next week. I really dont want to wait until late July or aug to have my fillings taken care of, but I certainly don't want fillings that are noticeable becauae they don't match my tooth color. Any advice someone with experience could give me would ve greatly appreciated!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The cleaning will make no difference to colour of your teeth.
Personally, I'd prefer to do cleaning first so the gums return to normal health before starting fillings. Bleeding gums can make placing a good filling more difficult.

Vote:

Ask a Question