Filling Third Visit Still Sensitive

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a problem I'm having with one of my teeth.

About 4 months ago I noticed one of my top molars, second to the back, was hurting. I went to the dentist who did a filling that he said wasn't small but not big. About a day later, I bit into a Chewit sweet and it felt like Mike Tyson had punched me in the face. Instant electric shock feeling. I went back and the dentist adjusted the filling. She said that should do it. About a week later I noticed my gums were sore and bleeding around the tooth and when I flossed, the floss smelled quite bad. I went back yesterday and she adjusted the filling again and said the gum problem was unrelated. I said that it still hurt when I chewed but not as much. Now, when I chew, it still hurts, albeit not anywhere near how bad it was before. The dentist said if it still hurt, Id have to have root canal treatment that would be hard on that tooth.

I'm just after a second opinion if that's ok? I'm a bit unsure what's going on. Is the chewing pain and gum issue related? Ive never had it before, floss twice a day and have started using Corsodyl mouthwash. The dentist said to floss more.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
If everything was fine before you had this filling, then there may be something not right with the new filling. Of course there is always a chance you need something more or the dentist did everything right, but suggesting you need a root canal at this stage seems premature in a big way. It is not possible to tell you what is wrong without seeing you or having a lot more information, this is why you might consider getting a second opinion at another office before letting her do anything more.

Vote:
Thanks for the reply Zuri.

Ive left it a month to see how it went. The toothache pain has gone and the sensitivity to cold is low. Ive not chewed on that side for a month but did today and it hurt but not as bad. Ive noticed that when I suck a straw hard it feels like I'm ducking the filling out. This might sound mad and not be what's happening but that's what it feels like. Like the filling might be loose. The dentist didn't say that when I went.

I previously had a similar problem with a tooth on the other side and a metal filling was put in and its been fine since.

I'm keen to be able to chew on this side again but don't want RCT or to loose the tooth. I'm only 30 and would be quite embarrassed to have a missing tooth.

I'm going to get a second opinion and ask that the filling be replaced. Does this sound right? Also, what's the failure rate of RCT on this tooth? I'll have to have an implant if it fails.

many thanks,CW

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Yeah, don't get a root canal. It sounds like the filling needs to be replaced. White fillings are much more technique sensitive and are prone to these problems. The filling may be partially "de-bonded" which causes it to lift and compress on the sensitive parts of the tooth when you eat, drink or suck through a straw.

Vote:
I'm not a dentist but I think that is perfectly normal, it can be like that for a few days or maybe weeks, but it's possible that Zuri is right.

Vote:
Morning Zuri.

I'm not sure whether or not you post on here still but if you do, i went back to the dentist who put a dressing under the filling and then put a new filling in.

It was fine for about two years with absolutely no pain. Until it fell out. I have a job that can be quite rough at times so I think this contributed.

Many thanks again

Vote:
Me too. Many thanks for the advice.

I don't suppose you could answer my latest question about another issue I've recently had could you?

It's from today titled Filling versus no Filling Help.

Many thanks again.

Vote:

Ask a Question