Filling or something else required? Advice needed!

Hi, everyone.

I was inspecting my teeth this morning and noticed a very small hole on the side of one molar.

My dentist is currently not doing check-ups/routine appointments so I can’t get in to see anyone - and this clearly isn’t an emergency.

Appreciate it’s difficult to tell just from a photo but do you reckon this would require a filling, or can a dentist apply sealant or something? Is this likely to get bad quickly, or take a long time? I have no symptoms from it - I only saw it through looking abnormally closely at every tooth!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• C6337F30-3E73-4683-8727-0771E7B0A220.jpeg
    C6337F30-3E73-4683-8727-0771E7B0A220.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 88
It is called a Buccal Pit on lower molars. It doesn't seem urgent but you will benefit from a filling or sealant.
Is that the area of the molar, or generally what a hole in the side of a molar is referred to?

And, when you say it doesn’t seem urgent, how quickly can I expect this to deteriorate, presuming good oral hygiene? I.e. if I don’t get an appointment for a couple of months, is it going to be significantly worse?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Buccal pit is an anatomic area in the lower molars (upper molars have a lingual pit). Google Buccal pit of lower molars should bring up plenty of images. It is hard to predict urgency because I can't detect internally. As long as you are not drinking sugary/acidic/creamy beverages daily and keeping up with hygiene, 2 months should be ok.

Vote:

Ask a Question