Feelings of numbness on skin surface 2 days after a lot of novocaine

Spent 3.25 hours in the chair to get a cleaning, an older filling polished that was causing pain when flossing, and a crown on a cracked tooth with a large silver filling. Not sure how much novocaine I got, but it was probably more than I've ever gotten before.

Basically, I was feeling a lot of pain during the beginning of the drilling on the cracked tooth, when they were removing silver filling material. I let them know and we did two more rounds of novocaine (since it happened twice). It turned out to be that my tooth directly above that one, which had a recent crown and needs a root canal, was actually causing referred pain just from the cool water and suction. The pain appeared to me to be coming from the bottom, where they were drilling.

I had one of those squares that is put between the teeth to keep the mouth open since I have TMJ and a difficult time keeping it open. It felt like it stretched the muscles too far, there was a ripping kind of pain. I had some minor lockjaw afterwards - today is 2 days later and it's starting to loosen up. I can open about an inch now, whereas initially afterwards I could open maybe half an inch.

The thing that has been concerning is I am having sensations of numbness. Mostly I felt it on my cheek skin, sometimes near the side of the skull. The cheek tissue itself looks a little plumper. I normally have a thin face and low body fat, but one of my cheeks looks a bit fatter and saggy at the moment. Pretty mild, not too noticeable.

I'm wondering if there is a chance there was some kind of nerve damage, or if this is a normal response to maybe too much novocaine. I'm a bit nervous that maybe one of the injections hit a nerve? Would love some kind of feedback to give me peace of mind that this is normal and will pass.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You're right to have concerns of possible nerve damage because of your residual numbness. It is very rare to have permanent nerve damage from anesthesia. The nerve has a lot of potential to heal so I anticipate full nerve recovery and sensation.

Vote:
Thank you so much for the reply. I am feeling slightly less numbness today and my mouth has been able to open an extra quarter inch since posting. The cheek still looks ever so slightly puffy, and I am hoping all the tissue returns to normal again eventually. Thank you for the peace of mind.

Vote:

Ask a Question