Extractions and then denture

Hi all, just found this group online due to seeking information/advice. I have a severe phobia of dentists and as a result my teeth have deteriorated so much that I now require 6 top teeth removed along the front and a couple at the back top and bottom (wisdoms). I'll be given a short term denture and then long term I'll most likely be getting a more permanent denture as implants are just far too expensive.

Basically I am looking to see if anyone has had similar done and how the experience was ie. The extractions and then getting used to the denture. I'll be sedated for the extractions due to my phobia, so to summarise, 8 teeth removed, short term denture then return for a more permanent denture. Anyone had similar and can advise what to expect etc, hopefully put my mind at ease slightly.

Thanks for your time.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

You are referring to what we call an immediate partial denture. Usually this denture is place immediately after extractions, hence the term.
For the first 24 hours, don't remove the denture at all. Then for the next week, only remove the denture after meals, to rinse out your mouth to clean the extraction sockets, and to clean the dentures. After about a week you can remove it at night. This will allow the tissues to adapt to the denture.
Initially you will have some discomfort in certain areas, since the denture presses on the sockets and might also cause pressure ulcers in other areas. It is important to not that you can then go and have them adjusted a bit, to relieve the pressure. This might happen a few times and require a few adjustments.
Eating might be difficult. Stick to soft foods in the beginning and then gradually work your way up. Get used to cutting food into smaller more manageable pieces.
Speech might also be affected, since your tongue has to get used to the smooth surface of the denture on your palate. Speak slowly in the beginning, and then usually it normalizes by 2 weeks.
The denture will gradually become loose, since your bone in the areas where you removed the teeth, will gradually diminish as well as the associated soft tissues.
This is usually why after about 6 months you will have to have the denture either relined, to adapt it to the new dimensions of your mouth, or have a new denture made once your bone level has stabilized.

Vote:

Ask a Question