Extraction needed?

I have a tooth 3 away from lower left molar, next to incisor, that is damaged badly. About 12 years ago there was root canal on tooth. It was not crowned. When the tooth broke there is maybe half of the tooth above gumline left, the part broken (part of) and part of remainder is partly black in color.
I saw a dentist that sais he does a lot of extractions mainly wisdom teeth, under sedation too (twilight and general) but he is not an oral surgeon he sais. I went for a consultation last week. He said that the extraction could be tricky. He said it could not be restored. It could break apart when extracted he said, then he described the process as picking glass out of concrete. He said extracting it whole would be a bonus. The xray I asked his secretary for he did not perform. When I said is there likley any infection under the tooth he said it was irrelevant..Then he gave me a spiel about how good he is at extraction (does 100 a week he said) after initially putting doubt in my mind that his technique was best option.
My question is what is my best option. To take a chance with him or go for an oral surgeon, or other dentist? I dont want the tooth to shatter then he picks the pieces out, but he said this may not occur. Right now I have ended up with no xray of the tooth either.
Thoughts? Regards.
Ps. Forgot to mention the problem tooth sits right next to a 3 unit bridge on one side, incisor on other.

Ask a Question