Extraction - 1 vs 4

JJJ

My 11 year old daughter has crowding of her lower jaw. One of her front lower teeth is completely behind the other teeth under her tongue. She has lost all of her baby teeth. The first orthodontist we went to looked at her X-rays and moulds etc and advised that there was not enough room to bring the tooth forward and that the options were to take this one tooth out or alternatively take 4 molars out. He recommended taking out the 1 tooth. He said that although she would have only 3 teeth at the front and it would create a small overbite he preferred that then taking out 4 teeth. I got a second opinion and the other orthodontist agreed there was not enough room to bring the tooth forward and that it was either take out the 1 or 4 EXCEPT her preference was to take out 4 molars so that she wouldn't have an overbite/better bite. I can appreciate there is probably more than one way to resolve the issue but I am now unsure who's advice to take. They both had good arguments as to their preferred method. It would be fantastic if anyone has any information, advice or comments to help me make a decision. Thanks in anticipation!

Ask a Question