Endodontic tests

Solutions
I would like to question if the dentists or endodontists still use the electric pulp tester or the transillumination test in diagnosing endodontic problems. I still find some of this tests described in some books, but I never saw them being performed. It's just a curiosity of someone new in this issues.
Thanks!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't use electric pulp testers. They could give a sudden surprise sometimes and be unpleasant. The readings aren't diagnostic anyway. Much simpler and more reproducible to use a cold spray (or CO2 pencils).
Transillumination is useful for cracks, but not always accurate. Lots of teeth have superficial cracks that mean nothing. If you're looking for an endodontic crack, then localised periodontal pocketing is an important sign.
All endo diagnosis depends upon getting all signs and symptoms to develop an overall understanding of the problem. Here's a simple list that I give my new associate dentists - you start with a history, then go through Xrays and tests.

Vote:

Ask a Question