Enamel damage after ultrasonic scaling

Folks, I've been feeling extremely down in recent days, and I really hope you can shed some light on my case and perhaps give me some advice - it would be extremely appreciated.

I recently went to a hygienist who performed ultrasonic scaling plus polishing. I have this procedure done regularly but it was my first visit in that particular clinic. After the scaling, my teeth were extremely sensitive (hot/cold drinks, brushing teeth, eating). I've also noticed that on multiple teeth, the enamel is, sort of, chipped off. There are spots on my teeth that are grey and it's extremely painful when touching them for example with my nails. I'm also very confident that these grey spots (like missing enamel) were not present before the scaling.

How could this happen? Is it possible that the hygienist did something wrong? I'll soon be going to a dentist to check this but I thought that I'd ask you in the meantime because I've been having sleepless nights because of this. I'd enormously appreciate any input. Thank you!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Do you perhaps have photos of these grey areas or spots?
If you had certain areas that were demineralized, it is possible that these areas could cavitate, especially with pressure from the ultrasonic scaler. They will then require fillings.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It looks like you have abrasion lesions on these teeth. It might only be a coincidence that it became sensitive after the cleaning was done. These lesions tend to develop due to excessive brushing with a hard toothbrush. Try switching to a toothbrush with soft bristles. These areas can also be filled with a filling material, if the lesions are deep enough, to help combat the sensitivity

Vote:

Ask a Question