Dry socket

Solutions
Hello

I had my lower wisdom tooth out yesterday and I looked in my socket tonight expecting to see red or dark red and its black with maybe little bits of white over the top. I don't think I can see any bone and I have had very mild pain today.

I am completely freaking out about having more pain as I had severe nerve pain before it was taken out all around my jaw and ear that even tramadol would not touch.

Attachments

• 20201119_002805.jpg
    20201119_002805.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201119_001711.jpg
    20201119_001711.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201119_001651.jpg
    20201119_001651.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 78
Solutions
Oh I forgot to say the black is level with my gum level.

The pain I feel is a general soreness pain like when you have a sore gum and you poke at it not a throbbing pain

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

The pain that you are experiencing is normal since the tooth was only removed yesterday. A dry socket usually appears after about 3-5 days after an extraction. It is accompanied with a bad taste or smell and severe pain. If it suddenly becomes very painful, then go back and see your dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
Hi sorry another question

I have very limited pain today its more like a bruised feeling around my jaw and gums. I have not taken any pain medication as I don't feel I need it but should I take ibuprofen anyway to reduce swelling?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

This is still part of post-op surgical pain which is normal. You can take an ibuprofen. It will help with the inflammation.

Vote:
Solutions
Hello

Today is day 4 post extraction. Well i had it out 10am on Tuesday so technically its been 96 hours but not sure if you count from the time of extraction or if that day is just day 0.

I have no pain (not on any pain relief) or bad taste or breath but the black you could see in my extraction site seems to be further down now and speckled white. I am still only eating very soft liquid food and sleeping upright. Doing salt rinses every few hours.

Would you say I am unlikely to develop dry socket now? If I was just looking at the socket I feel concerned as its so far down. I do think the hole in general looks smaller and my gum behind it which was quite big seems to be coming forward.

The redness above my tooth came out on day 2 and seems to be fading

Most posts I read say you will get it day 3-5 yet websites say it can develop right up to day 10 which is quite worrying.

Attachments

• 20201121_100437.jpg
    20201121_100437.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 77

Vote:
Solutions
The pain behind my ear has not subsided today. Its the most pain I have felt since extraction. Its very bearable but feels like pressure and its only my ear i dont feel any normal toothache pain. The only thing I can relate it to is if you tense your jaw too much.

I assume if this is dry socket it will really hurt by tomorrow?

No smell or taste yet.

My jaw is sore when I open my mouth it hurts more today than previous days.

Really quite worried

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the pain is increasing and not decreasing, it is best to go back to your dentist for a follow-up visit. He can then clean it out if a dry socket is expected and give you additional antibiotics if it is needed.

Vote:

Ask a Question