Dry socket

2B6C33EB-74EF-4B59-B7EE-63E33BC5A465.jpeg 5D331A49-2B48-404C-88B0-BC6C7DAD7E25.jpeg 31D4A04F-DE94-4B52-9391-CDD8D834EE2F.jpeg Hello

My name is Jon. I had my bottom wisdom tooth and a molar removed yesterday and today after using salt and gluconate wash my tongue and mouth is now yellow and I don’t see the red clot that was there yesterday on my tooth. I’m very anxious that it’s dry socket because my oral surgeon is out of town for a week so I don’t know what to do if it is. It doesn’t hurt or anything yet.

Can anyone give me any advice. I’m really worried. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Sorry for the gross pics.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From the difficult view of the extraction site, I don't think you have a dry socket. I still see some coverage with no exposed bone. Continue to keep it clean and minimize disturbance of the area.

Vote:
D78AC5B1-FF7B-438D-819D-73137B647DB9.jpeg
D78AC5B1-FF7B-438D-819D-73137B647DB9.jpeg
10AAB141-B144-44FE-B714-A032D5DC636F.jpeg
92F912FC-A98F-4D44-8221-536CF4B69462.jpeg
From the difficult view of the extraction site, I don't think you have a dry socket. I still see some coverage with no exposed bone. Continue to keep it clean and minimize disturbance of the area.
Thanks. This is what it looks like now. I'm getting some intermittent pain and some tension headaches. Is this normal? My oral surgeon went on vacation so I'm really scared about dry socket/infection. I bought some clove oil just in case so I'm not even sure why I'm so worried.
Thanks. So is this white yellow stuff inside bone? I attached more pics. I'm scared. Its been 5 days almost so I shouldn't be in the zone for dry socket anymore right? Can anyone help? Sorry I'm so paranoid about this I'm not even eating. Lol

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you're past the 5-day mark without serious pain, then you are not going to get a dry socket. The white stuff is either tissue sloughing off (like a wet scab), or food particles. Either way it will do no harm. You are in the clear, and the wound will continue to heal and close up over the next couple of weeks.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dr. MattKW is correct. You are in the clear. To be specific, the white/yellow material is the regenerating epithelial layer that is exposed to air. Underneath is your wounds natural clotting proteins that act as a scaffold for regenerating cells (odontoblasts) to naturally close the "hole." In about 4-6 months, the wound site on x-ray should fill in similar to the surrounding bone area This is similar bone grafting concept for implant placement and bone healing.

Vote:
If you're past the 5-day mark without serious pain, then you are not going to get a dry socket. The white stuff is either tissue sloughing off (like a wet scab), or food particles. Either way it will do no harm. You are in the clear, and the wound will continue to heal and close up over the next couple of weeks.

Dr. MattKW is correct. You are in the clear. To be specific, the white/yellow material is the regenerating epithelial layer that is exposed to air. Underneath is your wounds natural clotting proteins that act as a scaffold for regenerating cells (odontoblasts) to naturally close the "hole." In about 4-6 months, the wound site on x-ray should fill in similar to the surrounding bone area This is similar bone grafting concept for implant placement and bone healing.

Thank you both so very much! I noticed today that the gum is kind of sore and white on the outside and there looks like there is less epithelial tissue inside. Is this normal or have I been using too much salt water and glconate mouthwash?

Thanks so much! Just my luck my oral surgeon goes on vacation the week of my recovery. Lol

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Different dentist may offer different opinions but I prefer less chemical irritation and less vigorous rinsing. I would stop using Chlorhexidine after 7 days total use for this situation.

Vote:

Ask a Question