Dry socket terrible pain...

Solutions
I need some reassurance please.
I had bottom right molar extracted last Monday September 9. Extraction went very well. Returned to dentist on Wednesday and dry socket confirmed. Socket packed and instant relief. Back on Friday with throbbing pain. Pack removed and infection confirmed.
I'm taking ibuprofen 400mg and codeine phosphate 30 mg (I had some left after a crush injury earlier this year). The pain is relieved but effect only lasts about 2 hours. I've also been using cold packs.
Is this normal??
I'll visit my GP on Monday.
The pain is really unbearable.
Thanks for reading

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, go back to the dentist and have the socket redressed. In some cases it might take 2-3 dressings before you get comfortable. You say you went back on Friday (in pain again?), the pack was removed and infection confirmed. Was it repacked? A dry socket is NOT an infection so antibiotics are useless and unscientific. A GP might give you antibiotics for a dry socket but that's because they don't understand about them.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for taking time to respond. The dentist said it was infected but didn't offer to repack it. To be honest when he took the dressing out it was less painful and did not smell too good.
I had a weekend from hell, never had such a painful experience. I went to my GP earlier and got naproxen and extra strength co-codamol and so far so good but I am exhausted.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
OK, you might be over the worst of it. A dry socket will eventually heal by itself but the dental dressings buy you time while the healing gets underway.

Vote:
Solutions
I bought sockit when I had two dry sockets and it helped a lot. I kept putting it in throughout the day and the sockets healed. I also drank tea with cloves. hope you are feeling better

Vote:
Solutions
Hi Winnifred thanks for your reply. The pain has reduced a lot but still twinging. I have not heard of Sockit but will look it up. Clove oil definitely helps. Best wishes, Sheila

Vote:

Ask a Question