Dry socket healing

Hi,

I had a partial extraction of a molar last week. The dentist had trouble extracting and after 2 hours gave up. Managed to remove one root and half the tooth, but a large bit of the tooth remains below the gum line and of course the 2nd root.

I had some pain and awful taste smell, so returned on the following Monday the dentist cleaned it up and packed it with a "dressing" which tasted of cloves. They advised me it was probably dry socket.

I've had serious pain in my jaw probably due to the trauma over 2 hours, however I have some questions if anybody is able to offer some insight.

1. I have a burning/scratchy sensation on the inside of my gum - almost under my tongue, could this be a "burning" of the dressing that was used, if it spilled over? I can't see any scratches/ulcers but it looks red (ish).
2. The socket itself, the dressing appears to be beginning to fall out (at the rear side where the root remains), should this be TAKEN out or is it okay to sit until it naturally fall outs?
3. When the dressing is completely out - how does this heal? If it's an empty socket, with no clot, can the hole ever close up? it's quite deep!?

I'm booked in for surgery in 3 weeks for the remaining root to be removed. I fly long haul 2 weeks after and i'm just hoping to be comfortable when I go. I considered cancelling the surgery, but felt it may be better to just have it removed in case it flares up on a plane or while i'm supposed to be on a holiday.

Any thoughts/comments would be welcome

Hi this is Dr Udeshna Singha, consulting dental surgeon from Guwahati, Assam, India.

Answer to 1. The "dressing" that was used was most probably zinc oxide eugenol paste since you said it tastes like cloves. Sometimes a combination of "iodoform- antiseptic agent", "butylparaaminobenzoate- has an anesthetic action" and zinc oxide eugenol is used. I don't really think any irritation might be caused by the dressing because zinc oxide eugenol has anti-inflammatory and local anaesthetic effects.

Answer to 2. Wait until it naturally falls out

Answer to 3. Socket healing will take place naturally. But sometimes the speed of healing is compromised due to habits like smoking or tobacco intake. So you should avoid that. Healing of an extraction socket happens in 3 stages. It will take around 14 days. So do not worry. You will be fine.

Vote:
Hi this is Dr Udeshna Singha, consulting dental surgeon from Guwahati, Assam, India.

Answer to 1. The "dressing" that was used was most probably zinc oxide eugenol paste since you said it tastes like cloves. Sometimes a combination of "iodoform- antiseptic agent", "butylparaaminobenzoate- has an anesthetic action" and zinc oxide eugenol is used. I don't really think any irritation might be caused by the dressing because zinc oxide eugenol has anti-inflammatory and local anaesthetic effects.

Answer to 2. Wait until it naturally falls out

Answer to 3. Socket healing will take place naturally. But sometimes the speed of healing is compromised due to habits like smoking or tobacco intake. So you should avoid that. Healing of an extraction socket happens in 3 stages. It will take around 14 days. So do not worry. You will be fine.
Thank you for your reply.

Pain seems to be almost gone now which is great. I think the pain I was experiencing was an ulcer that I found just near the extraction site under my tongue, this was disturbed everytime I moved my tongue.

What i've noticed this morning is a bad smell coming from the socket once again - much like an infection, concerned I now have an infection while the "dressing" is in place. I will try to get back to my dentist to investigate in case it needs any further cleaning/antibiotics.

thanks,
Tom

Vote:

Ask a Question