Drill piece left in gum near sinus after root canal

I had a root canal done on Tuesday Jul 19th (pulp inflammation old filling was previously there, suspicion of micro fracture, took 2 weeks to diagnose).

There was following complication:

The endodontist broke off the tip of the drilling iinstrument while working on a root. She was trying to extract that small bit of drill (this is invisible in the attached pictures as it's in the root canal somewhere).
In trying to extract that tip of drill, a second drill broke off and was somehow inserted deeper into the gum. This piece is titanium nickel and is 6mm long. That's the one that is visible.

Today the endodontist did a gum surgery to try to remove that piece but she did not reach it, as it's farther up than she can safely extract or risk looking for.

So now she has referred me to an oral surgeon, whom I have an appointment with end of August His initial assessment (after looking at the x-rays) was to let the tissue around the drill piece heal (4 weeks), and get more firm before attempting anything. He will also run a CBCT scan to pinpoint the exact location. I inquired about the risk of having such a piece around or in the sinus, but he indicated that the bit is in the soft tissue, and does not pose a risk.

I am still very worried though, as my endodontist seems so insecure and there is such a long time to wait for the oral surgeon.
I would value your opinion on these x-rays, what are the risks, what do you see, is the drill in the sinus and should I push for an immediate consultation? I am desperate.
Thank you.

Attachments

• bdl-x2.JPG
    bdl-x2.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 637
  • bdl-x3.JPG
    bdl-x3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 645

Ask a Question