Does using dentures have a correlation with life expectancy?

I think I read that using dentures can reduce life expectancy by 10 years.

Imagine someone lost all of their teeth at 30, what sort of reduced life expectancy might there be? Are there any studies on this matter?

What of they didn't have dentures but where missing say 4 molars, might that have an effect on life expectancy?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The article you are citing is a marketing ploy from an oral surgeon promoting dental implants. I can't think of any scientific sources to support the theory. It may be a difficult to isolate direct correlation vs coincidence with medical conditions and or neglect. You can make an argument for those that don't take care of their teeth, won't take care of their bodies as well. I worked on a patient who had dentures since she was 17. The patient is in her early 50s. Her quality of life may not be as satisfying relative to her peers. I also worked on many patients who had dentures in the 20s. I'm not able to correlate early dentures to reduced life expectancy without considering other factors such as pre-existing medical conditions, and lifestyle.

Vote:
Solutions
not sure about that because my uncle lived to be 98 with no teeth just dentures...but the stress from dental work and money will kill you early...its surely stressing me out...My husbands grandma lived to be in her late 90s again no teeth just dentures...my husband dad lived to be 52 and had all his natural teeth so this is bull and be wary of people wanting to make a buck...hope you feel better knowing this

Vote:

Ask a Question