Does this really sound like a root canal is needed

Background: Potential root canal would be to the upper left, second molar. This tooth was filled August 2013 and I've had no further problems with it. The molar next to it (the last molar) is a crown on a tooth that had a root canal about 10 years ago. All my wisdom teeth have been removed.

About a month, maybe more, ago, I started to notice nerve sensitivity and located the source to be the area above the gum line -- way up on the boney part as far as one can reach with a finger -- all the way to the back of my mouth. It is not directly over the second molar but more toward the back of it. If I press on it directly or through the cheek, it feels like something is pressing on a nerve and feels uncomfortable; no pain. There is no pain or discomfort at all with any of the teeth.

I was at the dentist for a regular teeth cleaning two days ago and mentioned it to the hygienist, so she took an x-ray of the area. My dentist stopped in after the cleaning to ask if there are any problems. I told him about about this nerve sensitivity and he spent about two minutes looking at the x-ray and my mouth and concluded I need a root canal of the second molar. I scheduled it but I'm questioning whether this will really correct the problem. My issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with this tooth and I don't honestly see how doing a root canal will take the nerve sensitivity away from this area in the back of my mouth. I don't have dental insurance so I'm even more reluctant to spend so much money. I am considering getting an opinion from another dentist but before I do, as money is very tight at the moment, I'm hoping maybe someone on this board could give me their initial impressions. Thank you very much.

Added - To clarify - when he looked at the x-ray and compared it to the previous one, there was a shade of a shadow, really nothing there of any consequence, which he said himself. I'm not sure what he's basing his conclusion on but he was in a hurry to get to his next appointment and didn't have time to discuss it further and just instructed me to schedule the appointment for the root canal.

Last edited:
Hi... The shade of shadow in the x-ray may be caused due to demineralisation of your tooth. It is not common in a normal tooth. As you are suffering from the tooth sensitivity and you are feeling the pain on mild exertion of pressure it is better to undergo root canal treatment.
It might be asymptomatic now, but will surely show symptoms in future. Better to treat it now in my opinion.

Vote:
Dr. Vishwanath -

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I truly appreciate your taking the time to review and answer my question. If I may just clarify, however, I have no tooth sensitivity at all. All of my sensitivity is in the nerve area far back above the gum, actually in the area near where the anesthetic injection would have been when I had my last tooth filling. I have no problem with the tooth at all. As for the shadow, I am not sure if that was on the tooth or above it. Anyway, I have no issues with the tooth or gum, only with the area on the nerve in the back beyond the last molar, which is why I question how a root canal of the second molar will correct this problem. Thank you again.

Vote:
Ok. Its very difficult to diagnose the condition without seeing the patient. But I suggest you to do a simple observation. Pain associated with tooth usually increases on lying down or sleeping. And also if the sensitivity is related to your tooth it is more likely to aggravate on the intake of cold or hot food stuff. If you are suffering from either of the symptoms it is time to visit your dentist.

If you don't notice the above symptoms, it means that your tooth is sound and you don't need to take any action for the time being. Hope it helps.

Wish you health
Dr.Vishu

Vote:
Dr. Vishu -

That's really helpful and exactly what I was looking for. While I know it's impossible for anyone, even a professional, to diagnose me on an internet forum,that kind of clarifying guidance is really helpful. With your observations in mind, I will pay special attention over the next days and weeks to try to determine whether I may need to go back for further dental work. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Vote:

Ask a Question