Does colour of my gum 3-days-post-molar-extraction (due to abscess) indicate need for intervention

Hi,

(Full-sized images available when links are clicked below, I believe)

It's been 72 hours since my molar was removed due to an abscess, it was a difficult extraction, and I visited my dentist's colleague for a follow-up today because pain had been so intense (though diminished in 8 hours prior to my seeing him). He said likely osteitis/drysocket. This evening I looked inside my mouth and some tissue around the site had gone an alarming yellow/brown/cream colour. I don't know if it was this colour this morning. It wasn't in the day after my extraction. I am having intermittent intense upsurges in pain symptoms but it is less than yesterday overall.

Does the colour of the tissue indicate the need for additional intervention? I don't want to get a sepsis or anything like that.

Also can I go easy on the salt water mouthwashes? Replace with Corsodyl? After the saltwater I am in absolute agony for 1/2 hour.

Thanks

Jonathan

DSC_2543-768x1024.JPG DSC_2540-768x1024.JPG DSC_2539-768x1024.JPG

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Usually after a tooth is removed, granulation tissue is formed. This tissue is yellow in color and then gradually changes to a pinkish color. If the dry-socket has been treated, I would wait it out. You can rinse after meals only to keep the wound clean. But also gentle rinsing only in order to prevent any dislodging of the blood clot. If the pain is becoming less, it means you are on the right track.

Vote:

Ask a Question