Does a crown for an implant need to be removed to clean every 6 months?

I am having a crown placed on my new dental implant and was told by the Doctor that it will be fastened using temporary cement so that it can be easily removed every 6 months to clean and maintain the implant. I am concerned to hear this and a bit confused. Previously I had an implant that had failed (same tooth), but that implant did not need maintenance like that. The implant was treated like a regular, permanent tooth. Is anyone else having their implant crown taken out every 6 months? If any dentists read this, is it normal that this is how an implant should be treated? Thx

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Nope. The crown should either be permanently cemented, or more commonly screwed on permanently. The implant should be almost self-cleansing with your own efforts. Is it too late to get 2nd opinion?

Vote:
Nope. The crown should either be permanently cemented, or more commonly screwed on permanently. The implant should be almost self-cleansing with your own efforts. Is it too late to get 2nd opinion?
Hi - thanks for your reply. Your answer was helpful. I called the Dr. and received more clarification. The implant will be finished by being screwed in and then also using temporary cement so that it can be removed without damaging the crown if needed in case there is an issue. Maybe I misunderstood what the doctor was explaining originally but there will only be removal of the crown if there is some sort of problem. I guess that makes sense. I hope that does not occur and that this implant is permanent. Thanks again!

Vote:

Ask a Question