Doc's Best Copper Cement

Solutions
Hi. I occasionally have a mild pain with a tooth and going to see a dentist. They use Doc's Best Copper Cement and I might have treatment with that cement.

And here is my question: Is Doc's Best Copper Cement still considered as effective, reliable or suitable under some conditions? It seems it's unpopular and out of date nowadays.

I have a fear of losing my nerve and I believe the cement's best selling point is to decrease the risk of losing nerve. Would it be better cement or something?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's a zinc phosphate cement that is normally used to glue on crowns (a lute), and was sometimes used as a base in the past. The only "selling point" is that it is antibacterial, which is probably true; however, its initial setting pH is quite acidic at ~3.5 and is much more likely to irritate a nerve than settle it. The antibacterial property is insignificant.
If you were trying to temporarily settle a nerve, you would use zinc oxide/eugenol cement.
I still keep some zinc phosphate cement for very specific situations like gluing a long term temporary crown, but that's about all.

Vote:
Any alternative to Panavia cement for bridges/marylands? Something more economical with good, stable bonding properties... Would be grateful for some feedback.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Any alternative to Panavia cement for bridges/marylands? Something more economical with good, stable bonding properties... Would be grateful for some feedback.
3M RelyXT Unicem 2 Self-Adhesive Resin Cement. If you're using it for metal-backed Marylands bridges, make sure that the lab use a semi- or non-precious alloy, and that they sandblast the fitting surface of the wings. Also, in such cases you won't get any light-curing, so you have to hold the Marylands in place with your fingers for the full 6min self-curing time.

Vote:

Ask a Question