Do you think I'll have to get dental implants in the future?

So a little bit about my situation: I had all my teeth crowned in Turkey last year (not veneers, crowns), and I've actually had some pain and discomfort since the procedure, but luckily it's only been temporary pain. I had a discussion with a dental hygienist at my local dental office and she said the pain/discomfort is probably normal, considering the fact that my teeth are shaven down to small nubs underneath the crowns (I basically have "baby shark teeth" underneath).
I know a lot of people are against these kinds of procedures and think it's unethical, but my teeth were way too crooked to be fixed with braces, and I knew that crowns were the only way to achieve the look that I wanted, so I went to Turkey to have the procedure done.
My question is, do you think there's a significant risk that I'll have to get implants in the future? I know I'll have to get the crowns replaced within 10 to 15 years either way, and I might have to get them replaced even earlier if I have an accident or something happens etc.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Usually to treat severe malocclusion, orthodontics would have been the correct way to start the process. Although you can get an aesthetic result with crowns, the bite can't always be corrected, especially if a severe malocclusion was present at the beginning. Crowns on teeth where the bite or occlusion is an issue, can lead to future TMJ problems or crown and tooth fractures.
To determine if you would need implants in the future, more information would be needed, such as xrays or CBCT scans, since there are a lot of factors that determine if you need them and even if you can have implants.

Vote:
Good day

Usually to treat severe malocclusion, orthodontics would have been the correct way to start the process. Although you can get an aesthetic result with crowns, the bite can't always be corrected, especially if a severe malocclusion was present at the beginning. Crowns on teeth where the bite or occlusion is an issue, can lead to future TMJ problems or crown and tooth fractures.
To determine if you would need implants in the future, more information would be needed, such as xrays or CBCT scans, since there are a lot of factors that determine if you need them and even if you can have implants.
I don't think I had malocclusion since I didn't really have an issue with my bite. My front teeth along my lower jaw were very crooked before the procedure, but they were able to make my front teeth straight. I'm not sure exactly how they did it because they didn't really explain the procedure in detail and I didn't ask a lot of questions. Basically I told them what look I wanted and they gave it to me.
I can upload an X-ray but the person at my local dental office said everything looked fine and advised me to continue practicing good dental hygiene to avoid infection. Plus, you can't see the teeth (nubs) underneath the crowns on the X-ray, not sure if that matters though.

Vote:

Ask a Question