Do I really need metronidazole to treat my extraction site?

Hi everyone :)

This afternoon I visited my local dentist in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia to have root canal surgery on my second molar (upper right jaw) and to have the stump of the adjacent first molar extracted, which wasn't suitable for root canal as it had been pretty much ruined by repeated infections after years of my living in the developing world without a dentist. The dentist extracted an abscess along with the tooth, and prescribed the following antibiotics:

Metronidazole 500mg, 3 times daily for 3 days
Ciprinol 500mg. 4 times daily for 3 days

I'm aware that metronidazole is one of those antibiotics for which they're really not screwing around when they tell you not to drink alcohol, which is a bit of a nuisance as it's my wife's birthday this weekend, and here in Mongolia it would be incredibly weird not to have a drink to celebrate such an event (and boring, too).

Now I don't want to second guess my dentist, and I'm sure he prescribed this particular treatment because it does the job, but we don't speak the same language so I didn't have the opportunity to ask him if something like amoxicillin would do the job just as well while allowing me to have a drink on Saturday.

So, can anyone who knows their stuff let me know? If metronidazole is the best antibiotic to treat an abscess I'll grin and bear it and remain sober, but if amoxicillin (or anything else) would be just as effective I'd love to be able to raise a glass this weekend.

Ask a Question