Do I need a root canal?

Hello,
I had a composite filling done 3 months ago and my general dentist told me that the filling was "deep" and close to the nerve and would be "sensitive" for a while. He never told me I might need a root canal, or that there would be complications afterward.

3 months later, the tooth is still sensitive to cold (not hot), and if I bite down on a hard food, it hurts. Otherwise, no other symptoms (swelling, pain, etc.). When I went in for my routine cleaning, the dentist tells me that because my tooth is still sensitive, it needs a root canal. Is this definite? He looked on the X ray and saw that the filling is large and touching the tooth nerve. But the nerve isn't necessarily infected, is it? Does this mean that I definitely need a root canal? IT doesn't make a lot of sense to me to do such a major procedure when the nerve/pulp isn't infected. What happens if I don't get a root canal? I don't trust my dentist 100%, either.... Could I get a sedative filling put in to calm the nerve, or replace the current filling? Or... could I just wait a while longer to see if the nerve settles? I just want a second opinion.

If I were you I would opt for the root canal. In my opinion, yours is bit complex and definitely troublesome. But, why don't you consult another Dentist for a definitive answer? Weigh which opinion is safer and long lasting and you will be good to go. Good luck!

Vote:
Have the root canals first. If the appearance of the teeth needs improvement, then you can have bonding, veneers, or crowns made. If the teeth are otherwise ok, then all that's needed are composite fillings to close the access holes for the root canals. Root canal treatment is usually the treatment of choice for a dead tooth. If your dentist told you the teeth are dead, than your option is to have a root canal and afterward a crown. Go back to your dentist and get them treated...the sooner the better so you can avoid infection and possible abscess and to prevent them from going dark. Good luck and hope this helps!

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Yes, you should AVOID a root canal unless there is evidence that the pulp (nerve) is irreversibly damaged. Based on your description, it sounds like a typical problem of a white filling being handled improperly causing long-term sensitivity. In most cases, replacing this filling using proper technique can solve the problem. Too many dentists use root canals to solve problems they caused.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:

Ask a Question