Do I Need a Root Canal

Jon

Hello, first I would like to say that I just went to the dentist and he said I would probably need a root canal. They did take X-rays but he came to the conclusion before really investigating I feel.
Now the whole story: it started about 2 weeks ago, I ran out of my prescription strength toothpaste, and switched to crest 3d pro white while I waited for a refill. After about 4 days I noticed mild sensitivity to cold and sweet foods in three different spots This increased in severity to the point of being almost unbearable in the one main spot. It ended up hurting all spots my mouth in a constant pain. After starting back on my toothpaste two days ago I've noticed that the sensitivity had dulled yesterday and is gone today. But now however the one main spot is pressure sensitive. Could this be caused by the teeth grinding due to the discomfort and not an abscess? I don't notice the pain now unless I put pressure on the specific tooth. I'm inclined to see if it worsens with time. I don't want to pay for a root canal and crown if it's not needed. Thanks in advance for any help!

Jon

I'm not looking for a full diagnosis, I just want to know if it's worth it to maybe wait a day to see how it feels. But I also don't want to gamble if it could cause serious harm waiting maybe 2 days at most. Also with starting the antibiotic I didnt know if this could skew my perception of the pain.

Vote:
If you take the antibiotics and the pain goes away, but then later returns you know that the tooth definitely needs the root canal. Antibiotics work differently on dental infection than on other infections. They don't eliminate the problem completely. It is fine to wait on the root canal until you and the dentist know for sure that it is truly needed.

Vote:

Ask a Question