Distal and Mesial resin filling question

2th

I have some fillings on the distal and mesial surfaces of a handfull of teeth. The most recent fillings were done in a manner that left a noticeable lip or bump were the filling meets the tooth. I can not feel any such "lips" on my previous fillings. Is this a normal method for these fillings or do I need to have them ground down smooth. I hate to question my dentists technique or whatever, so any help here would be great. Thanks

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi 2th,

The situation you've described has become more common with the proliferation of white (tooth-coloured) fillings. In yesteryear's, when most Dentists still used amalgam (silver) fillings, imperfections (bumps, edges, lips etc) could be easily spotted. Since today's filling materials blend naturally into your teeth, it's more difficult to spot these imperfections. Patients won't notice during the initial filling appointment since they still have freezing in. Later, when the freezing wears off, you notice it either with your tongue or your bite feels off. I always tell patients to be aware that this can occur and to simply call us back (if necessary) and request an adjustment or smooth.

Therefore, to answer your question. It's entirely common and yes, you should call your office and request a smooth....You'll be in & out in 5 minutes.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question