Diet

Kev

I brush twice a day and floss but still cant get my teeth clean properly i still end up with soft white stuff on my teeth. So im assuming its my diet. I eat cornflakes for breakfast and before bed, eat about 5 slices of bread a day, snack on yoghurts and fruit and the odd biscuit. I also only drink tea about 6 cups a day. If anyone could give me some advice if they see the problem with my eating. Thanks

In my opinion, you are having a healthy diet and doing everything in maintaining a good dental health. It could be that your brushing technique is not proper and maybe you should start flossing before brushing so that area between two teeth is thoroughly cleaned. This is exactly the area where the white film or tartar tends to accumulate.
Try checking out some videos on youtube on brushing technique.
cheers

Vote:
Sugar or starch in saliva becomes lactic acid in 4-5 hours due to naturally occuring bacteria in the saliva:
https://books.google.com/books?id=LswhAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA278#v=onepage&q=sugar or starch&f=false

Lactic acid is what produces cavities in your teeth.

Food stuck on your teeth for a short period of time less than 4 hours is not a problem. The most important times to brush your teeth is before bed, and after eating refined, sticky sugary foods. Avoid sticky sugary foods wherever possible (such as sweedish fish candies).

Occasionally brushing your teeth or rinsing with flouride based products will promote the change of natural Hydroxylapatite in the enamel to Fluorapatite; Fluorapatite has a critical pH of 4.5 making it more resistant to acid than the natural Hydroxylapatite which has a critical pH of 5.5. Lactic acid has a pH of 3.51. You may remember learning about bases and acids from high school... so I'm sure you can understand this.

Vote:

Ask a Question