Did my hygienist just perform deep cleaning?

I just came back from a regular check-in & cleaning at a new dentist. The hygienist took some "regular check-in x-rays" then took out a diagram that showed a regular gum & an infected gum. She scared me by saying "this is what happens if you don't floss." I asked how these conditions are treated, and she said by "deep cleaning." An alarm went off in my head because my previous dentist whom I've trusted 100% and had for years had warned me specifically to not get a "deep cleaning." He said it was the new thing in California and a lot of dentist just want to do it, and I don't need one. (I can no longer see this dentist because I have moved). The new hygienist proceeded to measure my gum. The numbers she called out were mostly 2's and some 3's (millimeters, I assume). She said that that my gum was mostly fine.

So I assumed she'll just do a regular cleaning. However, before she started, she said, "raise your hand if it hurts and I'll stop." Regular cleaning in the past have never been painful for me. When she started, it actually hurt, and it felt like she was seriously scraping my teeth and poking my gum. It didn't feel like just regular cleaning. I'm pretty tolerant of pain, but I did raise my hand once or twice.

Does this sound like deep cleaning? Is it possible for a hygienist to do this without getting my consent? Or am I just over-reacting and she was just not a very good hygienist?

(for reference, I am in my 20s, no cavities, healthy).

Do you floss? She's not scaring you, just educating you on the importance of it. If you don't floss everyday, and/or it had been a while since you have had a cleaning, you may have had more tartar build-up and inflammation than normal. This alone would require the hygienist to work harder than usual to clean your teeth, therefore be more uncomfortable to you.

If she was reading off 2-3mm measurements, she likely only did a regular cleaning. Floss everyday and see your dentists twice per year and it probably won't hurt so bad at future visits.

Vote:

Ask a Question