Dextrose and Healthy Teeth

I've been wondering about sugar intake in combination with brushing/rinsing teeth but don't know much about these topics myself, so here my question:

For nutritional purposes (I'm a powerlifter) I add about 40g of dextrose to my protein shakes so I can comfortably hit the carbohydrates & calories I need each day. However, I'm a bit concerned about my teeth.

Right now my oral hygiene looks like this:

In the morning I brush my teeth, then have breakfast and drink a protein/dextrose shake. To my understanding, brushing my teeth before breakfast removes all (or most) bacteria that would otherwise immediately start metabolizing the sugars in my mouth. I rinse my mouth with water after breakfast, but don't brush my teeth again.
Throughout the day I try to drink a lot. To my understanding, bacterial growth (and thus tooth decay) is minimal in this during the day, because of the higher flow of saliva - at least compared to the low production of saliva during sleep.
In the evening, right after dinner, I drink a second shake. About an hour after that I floss & brush my teeth before I go to bed.

What is your opinion on dextrose intake and tooth decay and what would you change in regards to that about my oral hygiene?
Thanks in advance!

Hey I don't know about dextrose specifically (disclaimer: I'm not a dentist) but if you're worried about bacteria causing tooth decay you can try oil pulling with something like coconut oil after your evening shake perhaps. Basically you just swish it in your mouth like mouthwash. There have been studies that shows it helps reduce the amount of cavity causing bacteria in your mouth so maybe look into it.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
OK, it's good you brush after the morning and evening shakes. You have to clear your mouth of the bacteria and sugars (including dextrose) . You don't mention what you specifically drink during the day; keep it to plain water, and stay away from any sugary drinks unless you're prepared to brush after each drink! :)

Vote:

Ask a Question