Desperate for help with our childrens teeth

Hi,
We are in desperate need of some assistance with the care of our childrens teeth. we have been regimental with their approach to brushing etc but there are a number of problems that have occured with firstly our 10 year old daughter and now with our 7 year old son. Our daughter has got yellow and white spots, roughness to the touch and major discoloration to one front upper tooth. There us also marked discolouration to other teeth in the mouth. Our 7 year old son is now presenting similar promblems. We are not sure if its too much or to little fluoride intake. Or maybe something completely different. We would be grateful for any assistance anyone could offer.

Attachments

• 61CDAC08-ABEF-40CE-B90C-51243E71A1C8.jpeg
    61CDAC08-ABEF-40CE-B90C-51243E71A1C8.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 643994B5-5A61-4906-B044-797F0348E1BA.jpeg
    643994B5-5A61-4906-B044-797F0348E1BA.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 330
"fluoride intake" "brushing etc" -- ah, what would be "etc"?

I hope you realize that fluoride is a toxic substance (a waste product of the aluminum industry very costly to dispose of unless donated for municipal water supplies), to be used sparingly (if at all). The margin between effective level and toxic level in the water supply is quite narrow (very easy to overdo it leading to tooth mottling, or, underdo it and get little benefit).

My family and I have never knowingly used fluoride, outside the nominal amounts in toothpaste). If you must use it I urge avoid swallowing it. Excessive fluoride use on teeth will cause 'mottling' of tooth surfaces. Even regions with merely fluoridated water may have residents coping with this symptom (if you're in such an area and are also using fluoride coatings, that may be overkill). True, fluoridation does have a modestly positive cavity prevention impact (especially for residents neglectful of regimental dental hygiene imo).

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hi,
We are in desperate need of some assistance with the care of our childrens teeth... .
First photo is an isolated mottled area on incisor - a hypoplasia, most probably due to fluoridation. It might be a bit unattractive, but that can be easily remedied with maybe some enamel microabrasion for the darker part, and if necessary follow with a shallow composite filling. Second photo a bit harder to see - don't forget that adult teeth are naturally yellow anyway. Also, if the child isn't too concerned, then don't make too much fuss about it. The time to take action is if the child expresses concern, or they start getting teased. Talk to other parents, and you'll find there's a lot of variation. I've had an 8 year-old ask me once about bleaching - and she had perfectly normal teeth. Please ignore BeenThere's scaremongering.

Vote:

Ask a Question