Dentures,full set,pulling all old teeth

Hello,

I have just relocated from the U.K to S.Korea and do not have health insurance in this country.
As I am 57 years young,I have a four tooth denture already.
Before I left the U.K,I wanted my dentist to pull all my teeth and give me a set of full dentures and he told me,I still had some life in my teeth.
My question,is,I like the idea of a very low maintenance mouth,so as its mine,why would it horrify anyone,why advise me against this action?
The truth is,I was spending sooo much time with him,more than with my wife,it appeared,obviously,if I did have the full dentures,our relationship would be terminated.

One would need a general anaesthetic?right and have the whole lot pulled the same day and then wait for the gums to heal a bit and shrink,then take a mould?yes?

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I wish it were so easy. Full dentures, especially if not expertly fabricated and adjusted can give you a lifetime of misery, eating nothing but mush and remembering fondly the days you still had teeth. Dentures are terrible and should only be made if it is a last resort. If those dentures were held in with implants, that is a different story. But I don't think that is the route you are fantasizing about.

Vote:
Coming from someone with implants, they are far from low maintenance although I'm eternally grateful for them as I had a congenital hypodontia and hated my dentures. They were , as the dentist above described also far from low maintenance and very painful. Caused bad breath also as the acrylic nature of them made for unpleasant smells after eating or with a dry mouth. And I can vouch for the utter misery of ill fitting dentures, not forgetting they require replaced or repaired when broken (not uncommon btw). Also for a younger person like me I also hated the stigma. It's not an easy route!!

Vote:
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
What is young..roughly
Do you now have implants or dentures?.
I have one lower front denture currently with four teeth and it fits like a glove and I really like it and appreciate it.
I am presuming all the succes stories,would not be here ,as those people have no need to come back to the forum.
ARE THERE ANY POSITIVE STORIES OUT THERE OF PEOPLE HAPPY WITH THEIR FULL DENTURES?
Otherwise one could presume a conflict of interest,coming from a dentists mouth {excuse the pun}

Last edited:

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Before I started my own practice, I worked in a retirement home so I have seen THOUSANDS of patients with dentures. You will be hard pressed to find someone with more perspective on dentures than me, so let me lay it out for you: They are terrible overall, but full lower dentures must have been invented by the devil himself, because they almost never feel or function well. When dentures are held in with implants, the story changes, but implants are expensive. A denture held in with implants in the USA can run anywhere from $5,000 to $60,000 depending on a variety of factors. My advice, based on admittedly very little info about your case, is to consider a full upper denture but hold on to every lower tooth like it was made of diamonds. Stay out of a full lower denture at all costs unless you are 100% sure you will have it held in with implants. Of course there are success stories, but they are much more common when people have a combination full upper denture and PARTIAL lower denture.

Vote:
Totally agree with above re lower denture. I spent a lot of my youth trying to get away without it but as a teen I just suffered the pain. But I never ever could eat with it in and as a result had one very embarrassing moment in a restaurant where I had hid it descretely in a tissue only to have the waitress whip it away with my finished dinner. This, along with other reasons, all led me to the point of starting the process of implants. It's been a long process but totally worth it. However the reason I am on this forum is that one of my crowns fell out yesterday and as it's a weekend I can't get hold of my dentist, I am concerned my gum will close over the implant socket, by the time I get to see my dentist to refit the screw in crown. So my point is nothing is maintenance free!

P's I am 41 years young.. But I started the process of implants at 25.

Vote:
P's I have a combination... Maryland bridges on lower two teeth that were only two of lower jaw that developed. These were put in when I was 20 years old (amazingly have lasted that long!!) However I had a denture for entire rest of my lower jaw until I got implants. I now have 4 implants that retain lower dentures. My upper jaw is a little more complex but almost the same. I have 4 of my own teeth that have not fully developed so are veneered and 5 implants retaining a combination of dentures and crowns.

Vote:

Ask a Question