Denture options question

I had an upper denture made about six months ago. When shown an example of what the denture would look like, I complained that the teeth looked too small and perfect, but the woman said that my final denture would be more natural and normal looking. When I received the upper denture, it was like the example: small and over-perfect teeth that look really fake. The canines especially just aren't long enough; they look nothing like my original teeth. And then I find out that this is to be my final denture. I'm trying to figure out what to do...the dentist claims that the denture would need to be remade (at cost to me). Is this true? Can the teeth be made to look more normal without remaking the entire denture?

Thanks.

Is it necessary to change dentures every six months? Actually, I just had made my new dentures last months from my family dentist Rockville MD, and is giving trouble to me. Now, he was out of town. I don't understand what to do. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Many dentists do what is called a tryin before the final denture is processed. The teeth are set in wax, and the patient is able to try it on and request any changes.(shape, color, size) The denture is only processed after the patient has given final approval. It sounds like your dentist didn't do this. The teeth can be replaced or reset without replacing the whole denture, but the dental lab will charge for this.

Vote:
No. It should not be necessary to replace dentures every 6 months. Most patients wear their dentures for many years. Adjustments, relines, and rebases may be needed periodically to improve the fit, but they shouldn't need replacing that soon. Most insurance companies will not pay to replace dentures unless they are at least 5 years old.

Vote:

Ask a Question