Dentist says he cant match crown to colour of teeth

My husband has had a porcelain crown fitted to his front tooth which is more yellow than his other teeth, the tooth underneath the crown is black the dentist says it has to be more yellow to cover the black tooth he also says the whiter the crown the weaker it is. Is this true? We understand the crown needs to be thicker but could it not be whiter and is he just saying that because he hasn’t matched it to his other teeth correctly?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
I have a very close relationship with my lab technician. In difficult cases like this, there are a lot of things to consider. If the tooth was root canal treated, non-vital bleaching could have been considered in order to whiten the tooth prior to the crown placement. If it was only black stains, this could have been polished away. In more severe cases, I send my patient to the lab in order to choose the shade. Sometimes they have to place a block out layer over the stains, whereafter they put the porcelain.
This should have been part of the initial treatment planning, when taking on a case like this.

Vote:

Ask a Question