Dentist said its too late and I will lose teeth

Hi Im 44 and today have been told I will lose 4 maybe 5 of my teeth I am absolutely devastated as my dentist has said my gum disease is too advanced and that I will need dentures. As of now I have all my teeth and only 1 is very slightly wobblily. I am planning a visit with the hygienist soon to save my other ones but is there anything more I can do to prolong this. Also should I get a 2nd opinion ( my dentist is very young ) Any advice would be very appreciated.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately, gum disease can progress slowly without symptoms and then they start falling over like dominoes. I would be asking for a referral to a periodontist for an opinion and treatment.

Vote:
Hi thank you for reply, I was wondering do they fall out naturally or will they need to be removed. I ask this as I am private and am trying to get my head around all the cost. Also can the bone regrow back after the tooth is gone, this is for a hopeful future dental implants.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Please provide xrays. No, bone CANNOT grow back. Teeth may become so loose, they may not be able to function. Also, your gums may become swollen and infected. Hopefully with xrays, I can see your remaining bone and provide some options. Like Dr. MattKW mentioned, get an opinion from a periodontist. Beware, many periodontists in the US particularly in expensive cities see dollar signs and only want to stick implants. I would avoid the young ones who are exactly that because they have stacks of school loans and heavy initial overhead to pay.

About 3-4 years ago, I attended a lecture given by an older periodontist who would save teeth with compromised bone. I was so impressed that people could still keep their teeth for over 10 to 15 years after initial diagnosis similar to yours. Not everyone will be successful. If you are a smoker, quit. If you are diabetic, get it under control. You need to be meticulous with your oral hygiene and committed to recalls every 2 to 3 months.

Vote:
Hi thanks for reply I only wish I had that periodontist as my dentist who was willing to try. Im from the UK so as far as I know they don't let us have x-rays.

I have a deep clean up with my periodontist in 2 days and have been brushing, flossing and even oil pulling to keep my mouth as clean as possible.

My biggest hurdle is giving up smoking. Im ashamed to admit until 3 days ago I was a 30 to 40 cigarette a day. I have overnight cut it back to just 10 to 12 a day and am 100% in the process of giving up. I have booked doctor as need help with this filthy habit as its been almost 30yrs and engrained into me. May I ask is even cutting back helping even just a little bit and would switching to herbal be better for weaning me off?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Any little steps help. Eventually it is best if you quit totally. Hopefully you feel comfortable with your periodontist. If so, follow all recommendations and recalls.

Vote:
Solutions
Just read your post and can I just say that I see a Periodontist in Birmingham UK and he transformed my mouth.......I've been with him since 2002 and he's so meticulous and in turn I too am meticulous with my cleaning regime. Just decided early on that I wanted to keep my teeth. Hope everything is ok with you.

Vote:
Just read your post and can I just say that I see a Periodontist in Birmingham UK and he transformed my mouth.......I've been with him since 2002 and he's so meticulous and in turn I too am meticulous with my cleaning regime. Just decided early on that I wanted to keep my teeth. Hope everything is ok with you.
I feel mine are about to fall out as well, I am near Birmingham, could you give me the name of who you see

Vote:

Ask a Question