Dentist refused my request to return my tooth to me

I had a tooth extracted today and requested the tooth. I was told by the dentist the law does not allow him to return my tooth to me saying it is a biohazard. I can not substantiate that claim through a google search. Was I told correctly?

Thanks

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I couldn't say if it is the law wherever you are, but in general practice in Australia there is no law about it. Kids often want their teeth back, adults usually don't.
When I work within the public hospital dental clinic I cannot give back the tooth for biohazard reasons, but patients are welcome to take a photo of the extracted tooth.

Vote:
I couldn't say if it is the law wherever you are, but in general practice in Australia there is no law about it. Kids often want their teeth back, adults usually don't.
When I work within the public hospital dental clinic I cannot give back the tooth for biohazard reasons, but patients are welcome to take a photo of the extracted tooth.

Vote:
I am in the USA. I did go to the Centers for Disease Control website and found an updated page from February 2023. It spoke clearly and concisely to the issue and did allow a dentist to return a tooth to the patient, on request, without concern for bio hazard considerations. With that information in hand the dentist quickly returned the tooth to me.

Vote:

Ask a Question