Dentist performing "sinus clean out"? Dentist or ENT?

I had been having severe pain in my upper right wisdom tooth and 2nd molar area with infection and got those teeth pulled. I went for post op last week and was still having pain. It is hard to describe, but I will get pain "attacks", where the pain radiates from the area where those teeth were, into my ear, behind my eye, and in my sinus and will eventually calm down to more of an annoying throbbing. Dentist did another xray and could see that I have a sinus infection, and the tooth hole where the wisdom tooth was still draining pus. He also noticed some abnormal growth of bone that is very close to my sinus wall. Have been on antibiotics for the last week, and I still have pain though it is to a lesser degree. Went back today and next week he wants to do another surgery to remove the abnormal piece of bone and "clean out" my sinuses, which I assume means removing the infection. Is that a thing? What is this procedure called and would this be better to have an ent look at me? My fear is that I will pay all this money to get the bone removed and sinus cleaned out and will still be having this pain. He hasn't really answered whether it will solve the pain issue, just keeps saying I have a sinus infection and that there was a lot of infection where the teeth were. But I've been on antibiotics since last Monday, shouldn't the sinus infection have cleared up by now?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Has your dentist been trained in oral surgery? If not, it best to have a maxillo facial surgeon look at the problem.

Vote:
Good day
Has your dentist been trained in oral surgery? If not, it best to have a maxillo facial surgeon look at the problem.
yes, he is also an oral surgeon. I got more info from their office that he is performing a sinus lift, but he has kept saying he will clean it all out while he is doing this. I guess I am just worried that this is not going to address the problem of the pain I am having.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If he is a qualified oral surgeon, then he should know what he is talking about, and will be able to clean out the sinuses as well as remove the bone piece that is in question. No need to go see an ENT

Vote:

Ask a Question