Dentist Installed Crown Without Any Cement-I'm Concerned?

I just had a porcelain crown installed. Dental assistant did trial fit and polish, took it in and out a couple of times, said it looked great. Put a cotton roll between the upper crown and lower teeth and went to get the dentist to cement the crown. Dentist came and after several attempts could not remove the crown, said because the tooth was fragile he didn't want to try any more for fear of breaking the tooth. Dentist said the uncemented crown and tooth would be fine and that he had a couple of other patients were same thing happened and they were doing just fine after many years, one as long as twenty years. He also said if it came loose and was damaged or lost he would replace at his cost.

My concern at this point is, do I need to worry about bacteria getting under the unsealed crown and causing decay/infection? I also travel and am sometimes away for a week or two at a time, if the crown comes off of course it will happen when I'm out of town.

Should I insist that the new crown be cut off and replaced properly?

Seeking advice on how to best handle this situation.

Thank you!

That is quite strange. Yes, you should insist your dentist to apply cement to the inside of the crown surface and then fit it into place over the tooth.Probably because of the number of processing steps on the installation, the dentist did a slight discrepancy on the fitting. So make him do a minor grinding and smoothing of its surface to ensure it fits correctly.

Vote:
oh wow and no way would I have let an assistant do any fit and finish , I don't care how much experience she has , with my dentist I made this very clear when I started to see him , that the assistant was to only assist him and do nothing on me

Vote:

Ask a Question