Dentin treatment.

Solutions
Hi guys, not sure if I am posting in the correct area, apologies if not.

I have been suffering over time from loss of dentin, particularly on my upper teeth. I believe it is due to bleaching them when younger, and also medication taken long term for Crohn’s disease. Of course I am no expert, hence being here.

I just wanted to enquire, on whether this is a relatively common issue and how it can be minimised and fixed if possible?

Kind regards,

Stuart.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Not due to bleaching. If you have any loss of enamel, it has to be due to external acidic erosion. This may in the form of drinks and foods (most common, e.g. soft drinks, sports drinks, juices) or stomach acids from bulimia or reflux. Not from any medication, although I have seen it happen from chewable Vit C tabs (ascorbic acid).

Vote:
Solutions
Hi Matt thanks for your response. Really? That does surprise me, I am very careful with what I eat and drink, being from a professional sports background. I was always told that whitening my teeth as I used to could cause this. My doctor also mentioned particular meds can affect teeth. What in your opinion is the likely suspect then?

Also Is it relatively easy to cover, or would I need crowns or caps?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Whitening definitely won't cause it. You'd have to examine your diet carefully for any acids. Best if you go see a dentist and see what they think. Without clinical photos and Xrays, I don't have an answer.

Vote:

Ask a Question