Dental struggles

Hopefully this is in the correct thread. But at this point I feel like my life is ruined and spoiled. I am 21 and have had major dental problems since 17. I had to get an extraction on the top row of my teeth. I really feel like my life is over at this point. I feel like it’s harder for me to do everything because of the way my teeth look now.

Now I am 15 times more angry at myself because I missed my opportunity to get my teeth fixed before I was 21. That was my goal but my fear of the dentist kept me away. i am still having difficulty right now with being comfortable and not anxious about being with a new dentist. I need some encouragement. I don’t mention my dental problems to my therapist. Yet it is the main and only source of my unhappiness and anxiety.

As of right now I am in need for a deep cleaning then a dental plan. But could anyone tell me how many procedures I can get done in one day. I;m trying to get them done as soon as I can. Also I wanted to know if there is a difference with the front and back teeth. Would it be more difficult to treat?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

I am sorry to hear that you have such anxiety when it comes to seeing a dentist? I don't know if you had a bad experience previously, but it is important to mention this to your dentist. In these modern times, there are a lot of methods we can employ to actually make you more relaxed when in the dental chair such as conscious sedation etc.
With regards to your question-my opinion would be to go for a a consultation first. This will allow the dentist to do a thorough examination and then draw up a prioritized dental plan. I say prioritized, so that the dentist can try and save the teeth that needs saving first, to prevent further tooth or associated soft or bone tissue loss.
The amount of procedures that can be done, depends on what type of procedure is required. Certain procedures such as root canals and crown preparations take longer than a normal filling and as such the amount of treatment would be limited, since an appointment time is also limited.
Please mention your fears to your dentist. We are here to help you, and not to hurt you. And I know many dentists want to work with you and not only on you.

All the best! :)

Vote:
And I know many dentists want to work with you and not only on you.

Most of every dentist I've worked with had something negative to say about my teeth. So I don't feel comfortable doing anything with them. And they think they can ask me a bunch of personal questions when all I want is my teeth fixed.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Sometimes personal questions are necessary in order to determine why your teeth got to the point where it is. Anything that you say, should be kept confidential. This also forms part of your medical history.
I am sorry to hear that every dentist has only focused on the problems and proceeded with negative comments. Although it is sometimes necessary to stress the seriousness of a situation, since some patients don't take their oral hygiene seriously, it is important for the dentist also to focus on what can be done in order to fix what is needed to be fixed, in order to give you a positive outlook of what the end result should be.

Vote:

Ask a Question