Dental Pricing Strategies & Dilemma

I am old, 65, I KNOW I have future, potential dental problems, but RIGHT NOW, I want to get a TOOTH EXTRACTION of the tooth causing the pain (rear left molar). The tooth has NOT been able to be NUMBED SUFFICIENTLY in the past, so root canals have been incomplete. The DDS at a popular chain (Gentle Dental) I saw today for an eval, did not offer the option of extraction, but instead recommended work, by another ENDODONTIST, on that tooth AND 2 other adjacents (root canals, crowns)= even with insurance VERY EXPENSIVE (my cost $4000+). I KNOW that DDS's SAY they want to be "conservative", and not extract, so they try to preserve what's there. But, I am in pain NOW, and I don't feel that my concern (THE IMMEDIATE PAIN), was addressed. I also feel that dentists run BUSINESSES, and like everyone else, try to maximize profits. WE EVEN DISAGREED SHARPLY ON WHICH TOOTH IS CAUSING THE PAIN !!! On the other hand, there is a small office in a nearby town, whose DDS is "proud of his anesthesia techniques", and charges $189 for a "complex" extraction. I've NEVER regretted losing teeth, or having them pulled. Help ? Advice ? Thank you very much.

Solutions
Sorry about your problem. I am 70 and have problems with all my teeth hurting. Been having problems since 11/18/16. I have several posts on here under John Roberts talking about it. I have been to a DDS, a Orthodontist and he sent me to a Endodonist. Went to him yesterday. One of my molars # 30 has a crown and a root canal. The crown has been on there a long time and the root canal was done in 08. The back tooth next to it was supposed to have a root canal but I don't think it did. Anyway the Endodonist wants to redo the root canal because he says it is causing me pain when it and the top tooth contact. I also have pain with other teeth touching but this is the worst. After he did his xrays the tooth only has half a root canal to start with which really pisses me off and I think it is messed up. The dentist didn't do but one canal so the Endodonist called it a half a root canal. I also found out from the xray that there wasn't a root canal did on the #31 tooth which I was charged for. He has retired. I went back to his office and told them about it. I hope to get my money back for that.
Don't have insurance and it will cost me 1,300.00 out of pocket to get the root canal redone. I don't know what is going to happen with the rest of my teeth. They are hurting and they can't tell me why. I am thinking about having it pulled. I have read and read about not having teeth pulled. I am like you on the conservative part but they are not paying for it and in my opinion they charge way too much anyway. I know dentist wont agree but that's just my opinion. If you want it removed I would fine somebody you feel good about and do what you want to. JMO

Vote:
with insurance VERY EXPENSIVE (my cost $4000+).
Yes that is ludicrous from my understanding... you should be facing $300-600 with insurance for root canal treatment on a molar. Treat this just like searching for a mechanic with a reasonable rate.

Be aware that medical professionals do treat each other with referral incentives.

Call a bunch of endodontists in your area and get quotes for your #30 molar. See both what your cash rate would be with discount they may offer for cash, and also what rate for using your insurance...

Vote:

Ask a Question